[notice]Update! Since writing this post, I figured out how to create a Google map. Check out my new Sihanoukville Hotels, Restaurants and Attractions map. Only 2 entries so far, but I’m obsessed, so it should grow quickly.[/notice]
More than a little bit behind the times, I was content with my basic Nokia mobile phone until recently, when I realised just how far behind the times I was. It happened after I signed up with Dudamobile to have my sites optimised for mobile. Pleased with myself for my internet savvy, I wrote a blog about what I’d done on my Writing Resources site and went back to work.
An interesting sequence of events followed that made me finally lash out and by a Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus smartphone. Briefly, it went something like this:
- An assignment forced me to read a bunch of smartphone reviews and I learned that Samsung was generally regarded as a good brand to buy.
- I noticed a mobile phone shop across the street from where I was eating breakfast one day, wandered over and wrote down the names and prices of the available Samsung phones.
- I went home and checked them out online.
- Out of the blue, a German boy Sopheak used to nanny turned up with his Galaxy and I got to see all the things I could do with it.
- I got a windfall from some affiliate sales on my other site.
To my dismay, the first thing I discovered was that I had forgotten to install the Dudamobile plug-in on my Sihanoukv ille Journal and my mobile page was a very difficult to navigate miniature version of my website. I immediately made the correction and now it’s a nice, neat list of blog posts.
I’m still playing around with my new mobile device, but yesterday while having a beer out on the pier, I used my GPS to mark my location. Here is the result:
Then I took a photo. As you can see, it wasn’t the most photogenic of days and I didn’t really stay out on the pier very long.
The plan is to do this around Sihanoukville to help my readers find the places I write about. Last night, for instance, we went to Led Zephyr, but we were having such a good time listening to the guy on the stage with the acoustic guitar and playing pool, I forgot all about my new smart phone. Next time I’ll remember to mark the location and take a few pics. In time, I hope to make my Sihanoukville Journal the best place to find Sihanoukville attractions and Sihanoukville Hotels anywhere online.
You can buy, extend and claim online even after you’ve left home.
Recommended by Lonely Planet, World Nomads travel insurance is available to people from over 150 countries and is designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.