Diamond Design Building Design & Project Management

Diamond Design Architectural Services Sihanoukville Cambodia

Update: 22 Feb. 2013 — Joe has asked me to remove his contact details. He has more work than he can handle and apparently he’s getting emails every day via this site asking for more information about his services.

When I met Joe Royle, he was building his first house, a magnificent home on a Sihanoukville hillside overlooking the sea. A month or so behind him in construction, I used to race over to his place at least twice a week for advice or to try and make sense of what was being done on my place. On several occasions, Joe took time out from his busy day to come to my construction site and lend me a hand. With a lifetime’s experience in construction and fluency in Khmer, Joe was able to convey to my builders what I wanted done and how I wanted it done and averted several potential disasters on my site. He did the same for several other expats. Word got out and pretty soon, Joe’s services were in demand, so he established Diamond Design. I’ll let Joe take over now and describe his services in his own words:

35 years experience at drawing, site management, surveying, construction, my career began in 1974 as a draughtsman specialising in structural steelwork. Now in Cambodia, I can use all the things I have learned over the years ( drawing, construction, management) to draw and build to my clients’ specifications. Less of an architect, more of a draughtsman; I am someone who can turn the customer’s requirements into reality. I can work to the tightest budget or, as in the case of Song Saa Private Island, the highest standard of design innovation. My clients tell me,  “I want this…make it happen” and that’s what I do.

Joe’s services go far beyond just putting pretty pictures on paper. He can take your design concept and help you bring it to fruition. Aside from concept designs and detailed architectural floor plans and elevations, Joe can assist you with other essential building services, including:

• Finding the right property at the right price.
  • Building contracts (including negotiating prices and getting comparative quotations).
  • Planning and building permission from local authorities (try doing this alone!).

Most of Joe’s clients ask him to supervise their projects after he has completed the drawing phase. For this service, he usually works for a fixed price and time frame.

Every job is different, but as a rough guide:

• Remodelling (such as a bar conversion), including concept and detailed drawings: $500
  • A 3 bedroom home, including 3-D drawings and working drawings (including electrical and septic): $1500.00

Joe doesn’t just give you a drawing and say, “Take it or leave it.” He works with you until you are satisfied that what he has designed fits the vision you have for your construction or remodelling project.

Have a look at some of the photographs below to get an idea of what Diamond Designs can do for you.

Concept Drawings

From Concept to Construction

The Process

Before and After

Interior Planning

21 Responses to Diamond Design Building Design & Project Management

1. chhunlin.poy says:

Hi, i send from Phare Ponleu Selpak, Battambang.i would like to ask a quotation from your company , i have some picture and i want detail in my renovation,
    can i have your address mail?
    Best,

2. Steve Davies says:

Hi I have just bought a block of land In Kampong Cham I have a basic design drawn up by myself as to what I want in the basic layout of the house but need a khmer style design to the house and proper drawings drawn up for the builders is this something you would be interested in doing and if so how much

3. Grant Williams says:

Hello
    I am thinking of possibly moving to sinhanoukville and would like to know a rough idea of costs to buy enough land for a 4-5 bedroom house to be built and roughly how much a 4-5 bedroom house costs to build near the sea?

Regards
    Grant

• Sorry I didn’t reply sooner, Grant. I’m not really up-to-date with real estate and building costs. A friend designs and builds houses all the time. I’ll ask him and get back to you.

4. Iustin says:

Hello there!

I will be in Sihanoukville on 18 of May – the plan is to build a special kind of shop. I have the location but it needs finishing and some decorations. Can Joe – or anyone – point me to a reliable team of construction workers and a inspired designer?

Thank you for your help.

5. Rochelle says:

Hey. I have been living in Sihanouk Ville, Cambodia 2 years now. I am a entry level interior designer and from reading above I was wondering if I could get some experience you know? I’m not looking for pay , but entirely just experience to add to my resume for when I go back to Australia in a year.

Skills:
    * diploma in interior Design
    * extra coarse in commercial Design.
    * now studying and extra coarse in kitchens and bathrooms
    * can use sketch up and AutoCAD for presentation

If I can help you with anything or you me, please send me an email
    many thanks Rochelle O’Hara

6. adrian chambers says:

I am likely buying a bar on Otres beach and leasing the land behind with a view of building quality accommodation

At this stage I would like you to assess an approximate costing of what i think i need so i can build this into my business plan. Can you help me?

– I would like a due diligence survey of existing buildings, wells and pits etc
    – I would like a estimate of costs involved to build around 5 quality rooms with aircon adjacent the bar and existing buildings on the bar site itself
    – remove some trees and replace with palm trees

on the land behind, I need approximate costs to build accommodation of various standards ranging from high quality to quick and easy backpacker standard.

I can transfer money to employ your services if you can help.

Regards
    Adrian

7. Dwight says:

My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find the majority
    of your post’s to be just what I’m looking for. Does one offer guest writers to write content
    for yourself? I wouldn’t mind producing a post or elaborating on a number of the
    subjects you write related to here. Again, awesome blog!

Also visit my homepage how to become a project manager (Dwight)

8. mikl mcgaha says:

Greetings Mr. Royle.
    My name is Mikl. I am an American architect retired living in Sihanoukville. I have recently volunteered my services to Iris Ministries to assist in site planning and preparation of full construction documents for a new safe-house campus for children at risk (50 boys). Land has already been acquired in the city.

I am seeking some local professional consultation in the permit process, engineering requirements and contracting a builder.

Please return contact if you are able to help. Thank you.

9. Pingback: Sihanoukville Master Plan Revealed